Friday, September 20, 2013

Harvard Business Review’s Guide to Better Business Writing: When I’m not there to edit

“Do you freeze when you learn you have to write memos to senior executives”? Do your reports meander and raise more questions than they answer for stakeholders”? Those are the first two lines of HBR’s Guide to Better Business Writing, a book I think should be in every business person’s library. And one they should use, not just let collect dust.

In just over 200 pages, it summarizes the key tips, tools & tricks individuals need to write pieces that are clear and meet their intended goals, and I think it can ultimately make writing easier and less painful. Subjects range from understanding readers to the dos and don’ts of business writing etiquette and how not to “anesthetize” readers. Only a tiny fraction of the book is about grammar, which does my heart good. I’m not dissing grammar; I think it should be high on the writing checklist, just not at the top. Oh and there’s a really complete writing checklist in the book, starting on page 139.

I stumbled on this practical, informative guide, which BTW, I get nothing for talking about, while gathering research for a new project I'm working on with Brandi Dawn Henderson, a fantastic writer, editor and teacher (Check out Outside In Literary &Travel Magazine, the quarterly journal she edits. The next issue is due out October 5th.). We are developing a training program to give employees of small and medium sized businesses faith in their ability to write and help them deliver pieces that are clear and accurate as well as message and audience appropriate. Stay tuned for details on “Conscious Writing for Business."

For some, even me at times, writing can be a terrifying, solitary, boring sport. There are days where those first words just won’t come and when they do, they’re just awful. Earnest Hemingway once said that “the first draft of everything is shit,” and I think this book (coupled with our training of course!) is a great tool for moving that final version of a memo, a report or even a simple email, far from shit and towards greatness.

I’ve had the book for a week and I find myself flipping through it daily, along with my ancient copy of the AP Stylebook. What’s your secret to ensuring your writing doesn’t put your readers to sleep and delivers as intended? Leave your comment below.





No comments: